The Lake City Library Branch is a truly unique place in the neighborhood—a safe, welcoming place for learning and coming together. We need your help to make it bigger and better.
The Lake City branch is one of the most heavily used libraries in the city with more than 220,000 patron visits last year. There is high demand for use of the Library’s public meeting rooms, computers and free WIFI. More students attend Lake City’s after-school Homework Help program often taking up most of the public seating.
In 2018, The Seattle Public Library will add a total of 1,600 square feet of public space to the Lake City Library. While the footprint of the building will not change, the additional public space will be achieved by condensing existing staff areas. The plan will:
- Reconfigure the main entrance area into a flexible public space
- Add comfortable seating and work spaces that support mobile devices
- Add three new public meeting rooms
- Provide a large play space in the Children’s area that can be used for Storytime
- Create a lively teen area
- Centrally locate all staff services to a single public service point
- Add modular walls for meeting spaces to allow for maximum flexibility and capacity
An expanded Lake City Branch Library creates opportunities and improves the quality of life for everyone in the Lake City neighborhood.
Be part of the project by giving now! Thanks to a generous challenge match, every $1 donated will be matched by $2 – effectively tripling your gift! Plus, anyone who gives $50 or more to this campaign will have their name listed on a special donor wall in the branch.
Opportunities to name a space in the newly renovated Lake City Library are also available. Please contact Brian Lawrence at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Upcoming Community Events
The Seattle Public Library Foundation will be hosting two community events to share information about the project.
Tuesday, April 10 – 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm, Evening Reception
Thursday, April 12 – Noon to 1:00 pm, Light Lunch
Space is limited. RSVP to Sharon Griggins at Sharon@supportspl.org.